Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I work with soldiers everyday.  Side by side with alot of them, as they learn nursing skills that they can take with them in their roll as medics.  I know that they aren't going to be with me long, so I try to impart all the knowledge I can, and hope that they are willing to soak it up and use it when they really need it.  It is great to have them support me on our busy days, we gave 1100 immunizations last week, and 1400 the week before; that is 2500 shots over a two week period, and it makes you darn tired. 

I've had the pleasure over the last year of working with Jon D.  He and his wonderful wife had a precious baby boy last August and we got to experience her pregnancy and his weight gain!  Jon is 25 and could be my son.  And he is leaving us to go to Germany, then on to Afghanistan in July. I've given him a few of my German books that I will probably never again use in the hope that it will help them feel some familiarity with the country when they arrive.  Fortunately they are excited about the journey.  It is a good one and Dave and I have tried to impress that on them.  Adventure and history.  We have encouraged them to travel, to get out and explore, learn new things.  Open their minds to everything around them.  It is going to be tough.  She is a young mother and he is a soldier.  This next couple of years is going to define who they are in their relationship.  I told her it will make her a strong woman and to embrace it.  I encouraged her to get out and meet and be a part of her new military family.  It is different over there.  Tighter and stronger if you give it a chance.  Lots of support.  He has no idea what he is in for, war is hell.  I love these kids, all of them, that make this sacrifice for our country.  I'm going to miss these two (three) in particular.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, nice story, Deb. It must be so hard to watch them go--the ones who you really develop relationships with. I hope they grow together, I hope they flourish, and I hope they return stateside soon--safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete